|Portrait of the Reverend Francis Alison
|FES Title:||University of Delaware / Portrait of Francis Alison / Founder + Rector of Academy – 1743 – 1752 / President – Board of Trustees – 1769 – 1779.|
|Alternate Titles:||Vision (Reverend Francis Alison)
|Size:||44″H x 36″W|
|Published:|| University of Delaware and John M. Clayton. A Catalog of the Permanent Collection, University of Delaware. Newark: The University of Delaware, 1985: 82 [not pictured].
caption: Vision [Reverend Francis Alison], 1940-1/1955
Lukens, Rob. “University of Delaware’s Roots in Chester County.” Chester County Living, 12 February 2006: 12.
|Inscription:||lr: Frank E. Schoonover – 1941|
|Annotations:||en verso in black paint on canvas in FES hand: Painted by / Frank E. Schooonover / 1940-1941 / 1955 The Rev Francis Alison / Founder and Rector of the / Academy 1743-1752 / Alison is shown in the Manse / New London Pa – / Time May 1746 / The frame on this / portrait is a genuine / Peale moulding / Old frame was re-finished / Upper corners old / 2 lower ones new in part / as of March 1941|
|Comments:||TP 2/01; Form 2/9/04; index|
|Commentary:||Originally painted in 1941, the portrait was returned to Schoonover with the request from the University that he improve the image by removing the white hair and repainting the figure to portray him as a younger man. The alteration was completed in 1955.|
|Provenance:||Commissioned for the Permanent Collection of the University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware. Gift of Judge Hugh Martin Morris |